- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D.), 2011
- University of California, Berkeley (B.S., Electrical Engineering Computer Sciences), 2005
- State Bar of New York
- State Bar of California
- District Court for the Northern District of California
- District Court for the Southern District of California
Joel Lin is fluent in Mandarin, and a seasoned litigator with extensive experience litigating patent matters before federal district courts, the International Trade Commission, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.Joel has represented leading tech companies in high-stake litigations, including Apple, Samsung, Nvidia, AMD, Lenovo/Motorola, Walmart, and Medtronic. He has litigated patents across a broad range of technologies, including semiconductor fabrication, circuit design, signal processing, wireless/cellular standards, image detection, and video streaming, among others.
For example, Joel has represented Samsung on several matters. Most recently, Joel defended Samsung in a patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas that implicated Samsung’s semiconductor fabrication process. Joel’s work on the technical aspects of the case led to a jury award that was a fraction of the requested damages. Similarly, Joel defended Samsung in the Western District of Texas in a patent litigation involving Samsung’s semiconductor fabrication process. Joel led the claim construction efforts, which resulted in a claim construction order in favor of Samsung on all claim terms.
Other representative matters include:
- Representing Lenovo/Motorola in the ITC. Joel was the technical lead defending against a patent relating to cellular standards. The case settled on the eve of trial.
- Defending AMD in the Western District of Texas in a case relating to CPU power management. Joel was responsible for all technical aspects of the defense, including non-infringement and invalidity.
- Defending Trend Micro in the Northern District of Texas in a ten-patent case relating to software security. Joel was responsible for coordinating all aspects of the case and trial preparations.
- Representing Toshiba in the ITC. Joel developed the technical defenses for a patent relating to chemical mechanical polishing and achieved a ruling of non-infringement on all asserted claims.
- Defending Samsung in the Northern District of Illinois in a case relating to circuit design. Joel prepared an inter partes review petition that led to the invalidation of all but one challenged claim.
Prior to joining Gish PLLC, Joel was part of the patent litigation groups at Paul Hastings and then DLA Piper. He earned his law degree at the University of Pennsylvania Law School and holds a B.S. in Electrical Engineering Computer Sciences from the University of California, Berkeley. Before attending law school, Joel worked in the Bay Area as a support and software engineer in the mobile, aerospace, and semiconductor industries.